Paying it Forward with
A Book and a Buck
Through October 20
- $500 for the Indian Trails Library Foundation
- 200 books for Beardstown
UPDATE: As of September 26, our members have donated $510.07, surpassing our goal of $500! Also, 117 books and 14 DVDs have been donated to Beardstown! Thank you for supporting Book and a Buck. We hope to collect 200 books for Beardstown by October 20.
The Indian Trails Library turns 60 years old this year! What better way to celebrate than with a nod to our past and the opportunity to help another library build its collection.
In 1958 a group of volunteers, led by Wheeling resident Muriel Lischett, went door to door with “A Book and a Buck” drive, collecting books and funds to start a library in Wheeling. Almost 2,000 books and $450 were collected and the “Wheeling Public Library” was born.
Fast forward 60 years and the Indian Trails Public Library District now serves 67,000 residents in Wheeling, Buffalo Grove and Prospect Heights in a new 61,000 square foot building. Today the library offers programs for all ages, a dynamic makerspace and a robust collection of print and digital material.
To celebrate our anniversary, we wanted bring back A Book and a Buck and help another library - we wanted to “pay it forward.” Meet Beardstown Houston Memorial Library!
About Beardstown Houston Memorial Library
Indian Trails Library selected Beardstown Library based on need and where we felt we could have the greatest impact. Like ITPLD, Beardstown has a vibrant immigrant population and many readers who hunger for popular material. We are proud to help Beardstown and can't wait to learn more about its library members and the community.
- Located near the Illinois River, about a four-hour drive southwest of ITPLD
- Beardstown Library was funded by a $250,000 grant from the State of Illinois and a $750,000 grant from Mr. and Mrs. Robert Houston.
- Population served: 6,123
- Number of items in collection: 25,000
- Annual budget for collection: $3,373
- Building size: 8,500 square footage
How You Can Help
- Donate a new book. Bring a current new adult book, DVD or Blu-ray for Beardstown Library. Please include a receipt, if possible.
- Make a donation. The Foundation for the Indian Trails Library has set up a donation box in the lobby to collect funds to be used toward ITPLD programs and services. Drop in a buck or two, or your spare change.
- Be a power giver - make a donation and bring in a book!
Please donate new material only.
- Adult fiction and nonfiction bestsellers
- DVDs or BluRays of current and/or popular films and television shows
- Beardstown Amazon Wishlist
Send your book directly to: Beardstown Houston Library, 13 Boulevard Rd., Beardstown, IL 62618
- Check the “This is a gift” option.
- Before checkout, you’ll have the option to write a short note.
- Please include the following: Book and a Buck Drive
- If you wish, add your name.
- New York Times Bestsellers